At Port Houston we dream big, think big and do big things. For over 100 years, we’ve had the vision and scale to deliver big things that matter to Houston and the region. Our sustainability and success has been built upon attracting, retaining, and developing exceptional people.
Are you ready to think about the future…and think big!
Enabling our people to unleash their full potential is central to ‘We are READY!’, our vision, mission, and strategic priorities.
Business Need / Purpose of Role
The Construction Inspector inspects contractors’ work-in-progress to ensure compliance with Port Houston’s plans and specifications on all construction projects. Maintains and evaluates contractor invoices and construction documentation. Corrects detailed design issues with contractor and construction manager. We are seeking a candidate that will display attention to detail, commitment, professionalism, and sense of urgency. The ideal candidate will have a heavy civil construction background with exposure to vertical and electrical inspection.
Objectives & Measurement – Key Responsibilities
- Inspect work-in-progress by contractors to ensure materials and procedures comply with plans and specifications
- Interpret blueprints and drawings for contractors, discuss deviations from plans and meet with engineers and contractors to resolve misunderstandings
- Participate in pre-bid, pre-construction, and routine progress meetings
- Inspect and examine workmanship of construction for conformity to specifications
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to correct detail design problems
- Maintain inspections log and notes of projects and participate in computing work completed for contractor and testing lab payments estimates; evaluate time extension requests
- Schedule all testing by approved labs, schedule projects with Port Operations and maintain work files of construction projects
- Ensure site personnel comply with OSHA, EPA, TCEQ, TMUTCD, Coast Guard and Port Houston security regulations
- Review construction material testing reports for accuracy
- Review design drawing for future construction projects
- Provide customer service to all Port Houston internal and external stakeholders, including Operations division, all employees, tenants; coordinate and schedule contractors’ sequence of work to achieve a safe, secure and proficient work site not to interrupt Port Operations
- Perform warranty inspections and post-construction services
- Perform weekly environmental storm water inspections and maintenance reports for compliance with site-specific Storm Water Pollution Protection Plan devices
- Provide inspection during overseas fabrication and erection of all RTG and ship to shore cranes
Job Knowledge / Education and Qualifications
- Port Houston is committed to safety. All employees must follow all safety procedures and take all safety precautions to ensure freedom from the occurrence or risk of injury, danger, or loss at all times;
- Employees are responsible for understanding and following all laws and regulations applicable to their job responsibilities;
- Exhibits a can-do attitude that is positive, supportive and cooperative;
- Possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills to effectively interact and maintain working relationships with internal and external customers and management;
- Knowledge of local and national building codes;
- Knowledge of mechanical HVAC;
- Knowledge of security regulations;
- Knowledge of construction processes and techniques;
- Skill in written and verbal communication;
- Skill in reading and interpreting blueprints and drawings;
- Organization and time management skills;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to meet scheduled deadlines;
- Ability to perform written calculations and produce project documentation;
- Ability to ensure contractor’s strict adherence of materials and procedure in plans and specifications;
- Attention to detail;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, word processing, spreadsheet and other relevant computer software applications;
- Must exhibit the Port Houston Corporate Values and incorporate them into work activities and initiatives: Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Diligence and Customer Focus.
Education / Experience Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalency required
- Associate’s or a bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline or related major in a public or accredited private academic institution preferred
- 3+ years related construction inspection experience required
- A current, valid Texas driver’s license is required. Successful out of state candidates must be able to obtain a valid Texas driver’s license within 90 days of hire.
- Once selected for employment, federal regulations require that the applicant must either undergo a federal background check as part of the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) program or already possess a TWIC. The TWIC must be obtained within 30 days of appointment, and be maintained for the duration of employment. For further program information, visit: https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but due to open office environment noise level may occasionally be high.
To apply, please go to porthouston.com/careers. Only applications submitted through the Port Houston Careers website will be acknowledged.
Port Houston is an equal opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program supervised by the U.S. Government.
Make what you do matter.
At Port Houston we dream big, think big and do big things. When you take the first step with the Port Houston, you’ve taken the first step in the right direction in your new career path. Are you READY!
We believe in making big things possible.
Port Houston is looking for people who are willing to think about the future…and think big. We’re looking for people who are ready to take on the most significant challenges of their careers.
Thank you for choosing Port Houston in your career search.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 3 years (Required)
- Vertical/Electrical: 3 years (Preferred)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
- Stable — traditional, stable, strong processes
- Innovative — innovative and risk-taking