Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Senior Materials Science Technologist. You will work under minimal supervision to provide advanced technical support to the microscopy and metallography sample preparation laboratories and be a member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting characterization of a wide variety of materials, including metals, ceramics, and radioactive materials. This position is in the Materials Characterization group in the Materials Science Division.
- Provide advanced technical support to scientists and senior personnel in the microscopy service center and maintain clear and open communications with facility, programmatic and administrative personnel.
- Prepare a wide variety of samples for various microscopy techniques, including use of precision lapping and polishing techniques.
- Acquire, analyze, and interpret moderately complex data; operate laboratory equipment; assemble, repair, and maintain experimental apparatus.
- Lead small projects and document work in lab notebooks and informal reports.
- Provide solutions to complex technical problems and report results to principal investigators.
- Work independently and as an integral part of a results-oriented team on an ongoing basis.
- Properly handle laboratory and radioactive waste and take responsibility for some ES&H duties.
- Perform work in accordance with documented safety guidelines and procedures and maintain general and specific ES&H and job-specific technical training.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- AA/AS in science, engineering, or chemistry, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of basic microscopy and sample preparation techniques.
- Advanced specialized technical knowledge in designing and fabricating laboratory mechanical systems, such as sample fixtures, vacuum systems, and instrument modifications.
- Computer skills to work with a variety of software programs and databases.
- Analytical skills to trouble-shoot and solve problems and recommend solutions.
- Basic understanding of chemistry, materials science, or engineering.
- Advanced communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work both independently and in a diverse team environment with scientific and technical personnel and to provide technical leadership on projects.
- Experience with scanning electron microscopy, including EDS.
- Experience with additional materials characterization tools, such as x-ray fluorescence, x-ray diffraction, and hardness testing.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.About UsLawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees. LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.