Supervises and manages branch Lifeguards including hiring, onboarding, and training. Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
This is a full time position with an anticipated schedule will be Tuesday - Saturday. However, schedule flexibility is required of this position to help fill uncovered shifts in the schedule.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and long-term disability coverage after completion of two months of employment. Employees will also be given a free family membership to the YMCA and as well as paid holidays throughout the year.
1. Provides leadership and support to branch Lifeguards including conducting effective onboarding and training for new employees.
2. Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff and volunteers. Conducts staff meetings and organizes trainings.
3. Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, on deck, and surrounding areas. Prevents accidents by maintaining constant observation of the pool area, enforcing health and safety rules and maintaining emergency readiness. May perform duties related to opening or closing the pool.
4. Develops positive relationships with participants and parents encouraging involvement and identifying potential volunteers.
5. Assists with pool administration including the creation of the pool/lifeguard schedule.
6. Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model. Completes related reports including incident and accident reports.
7. Performs chemical testing and takes appropriate action.
8. Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed. Sets up and stores equipment for recreational swims and assists instructors with set up.
9. Performs routine maintenance of the pool and surrounding areas. Maintains aquatic program areas and equipment with a high attention to cleanliness and safety.
10. Checks pool and rescue equipment and promptly reports any problems.
11. Conveys information on YMCA programs and schedules to members and refers members to other YMCA programs and/or staff as appropriate.
12. Other duties as assigned.
1. 18 or more years of age
2. Current state approved First-Aid Certification
* 3. Current state approved CPR Certification – Pro or Basic Life Support, or equivalent
* 4. Lifeguard Certification – YMCA or Red Cross
* 5. YMCA of Greater Seattle scanning training or equivalent
* 6. The ability to obtain or currently hold Y Lifeguard Instructor Certification or equivalent within 90 days of hire.
7. Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness
8. Must be observant and able to react calmly, quickly, and with good judgment in an emergency.
* Within 30 days of employment or at first available training. If Red Cross certified, must complete Y Lifeguard Certification class within 90 days of hire.
**Within 6 months of employment or at first available training.
PREFERRED POSITION ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS
+ Two to three years of lifeguard experience with supervisory experience preferred.
+ Prefer knowledge of, and previous experience with, diverse populations (language, culture, race, physical ability, sexual orientation, etc.).
+ Ability to speak any language in addition to English may be helpful.
**You'll be a great fit for the Seattle Y if you:**
+ Thrive on working in a collaborative environment
+ Are very adaptable
+ Have high ownership and strong work ethic
+ Are a great problem solver who can think on your feet
+ Truly enjoy being of service to people
+ Like being part of a team that cares about one another as people and enjoy working together
+ Want to know that the work you do contributes to building a better, stronger community for all
At the Seattle Y, we are an inclusive organization of people with a shared commitment to nurture the potential of youth, promote healthy living, and foster social responsibility.
Become a leader on our team at the YMCA of Greater Seattle where we promote a continuous learning environment and career opportunities. As an employee you also recieve a YMCA membership.
_The YMCA of Greater Seattle is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a drug & alcohol-free workplace; all job offers are contingent on results of a background check and drug screening, including screening for marijuana._
**Type** _Regular Full-Time_
**# of Openings** _1_
**Location** _Coal Creek Family YMCA_
**Address** _13750 Newcastle Golf Club Road_
YMCA of Greater Seattle